Welcome to the first Small Gesture Sunday! Gesture is defined as an action performed to convey one’s feelings or intentions. What would happen if we all performed a small action during the week to convey positive feelings or intentions? Every Sunday I will be posting a Small Gesture that my family and I will be doing during the week. I hope that you will join us! I believe small gestures can have a big impact!
My days are brightened every time I walk into a classroom of 3 & 4 year olds. How can you not feel amazing when little energetic humans come running up to you with hugs and terms of endearment? “Ms. Tammy I love your hair today!” “Ms. Tammy I’m so excited it’s computer day. It’s my favorite day.” “Ms. Tammy I like your shirt!”
They don’t care that I haven’t washed my hair in 3 days and my shirt is old and out of style. It doesn’t matter how I am feeling before I walk in, these babies make me feel like a superstar and it impacts my whole day.
Compliments raise our self-esteem, motivate us, and make us feel worthy. When you give a compliment, it shows that you are paying attention to more than just yourself. When you are having a bad day, take the focus off your situation and give someone a compliment. I’m willing to bet that you will feel better! Sincere, encouraging compliments can have a big effect on both the receiver and the giver!
Ok big humans, it’s time for us to follow the example of little humans! Here are some examples of some encouraging compliments you can give this week:
- You are a great listener.
- You are one of the strongest people I know.
- You make a bigger impact than you realize.
- You are such a helpful person.
- Your attitude is contagious.
- You are making a positive impact on….
- You bring out the best in people.
- You are such a positive person.
- You are an amazing friend/person.
- I am a better person because of you.
- I am proud of you for…
- You are an amazing role model.
- You have a fantastic sense of humor.
- You always put a smile on my face.
- You are rockin’ parenthood.
Keep these ideas in mind as you go through the week. I am sure you will find opportunities to make someone’s day a little brighter! Compliments are free but they can make someone feel like a million bucks!